Friday, September 5, 2008

HELP!!!!

Ok so Porter was "washing" his hair this morning with vaseline. Oh YUCK!!! I've tried everything to get it out - hence Porter's smiling face! We've tried shampoo, dawn, and dial soap. Any ideas???

8 comments:

The Walkers said...

He still looks darling and I will still adopt him. Why don't you try goo gone. It seems to take everything else out. I use to use a chemical from the mortuary to get it out of my kid hair. Is there one close?

Adam and Sherry said...

Madi did that not long ago but I think I did use goo gone. I am so sorry but he is still the cutest thing ever!!!

Dave and Natalie said...

I have no idea...but I googled "how to get vaseline out of hair" and this was the first one...good luck!! (let us know what works!!)

Removing Vaseline

Luckily the news is good. Vaseline, which is composed of petroleum jelly (petrolatum) can be removed from hair. One of the most reliable removal methods involves cornstarch.

Apply a little cornstarch to the hair and carefully pat, (don't rub), it into the hair. The cornstarch will absorb some, if not all of the Vaseline. After you apply the cornstarch shampoo it out with a good clarifying shampoo like Philou Green Apple shampoo or a similar product. Most, if not all, of the Vaseline should be removed with the first treatment. If not, repeat until all the greasiness is gone. Be sure to use warm not hot water for the shampoo. Cold water makes the Vaseline worse.

If you are out of cornstarch you can try a baking soda/shampoo option. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with a regular baby shampoo. Pat the mixture onto the hair while it is still dry. Then add warm to hot water. This should help. Repeat until all the Vaseline is removed.

Although flour will work as a cornstarch substitute, it is not usually as effective. Flour may also tend to dry the hair out more than the cornstarch.
Keep in mind that after applying cornstarch, flour or baking soda, you hair may need some extra TLC and a good deep conditioning treatment.

Adam and Sherry said...

ok I know he is so sad but his face makes me laugh every time I look at it :)

Heather said...

Shave his head! We've got some dog clippers you could borrow. ha,ha.

Jackie Pettit said...

soooooooooo cute!!!! I love the look on his face!!!!!

Hansen Family said...

Ok I know that it is not funny and I am so sorry I hope that you got it out without having to shave his head. What a cutie I love his face!!!

The McClellan Family said...

how funny! one of those moments when your mad and laughing at the same time! so cute!