Thursday, September 24, 2009

Colton Is Twelve

Today is Coltons 12th birthday. This afternoon it really sunk in that my first born baby boy is not longer a little boy. Time goes by so fast -much faster than I want it to. I remember the day that he was born I promised myself that I was going to be a perfect mother. :) Boy was that a quick promise broken!!!! I just remember thinking I wanted nothing but the very best for him and I wanted to do everything I could to make that happen. Life lessons certainly have taught me that no one is perfect and life isn't perfect......... but I love him just as much today as I did the minute they put him in my arms. When he was born I felt such an overwhelming love, unlike any love that I had ever felt before. For the first time in my entire life I felt complete. Of course I felt exactly the same way with Kaden and little Porter but Colton was my very first glimpse of such a perfect love.
I can't express in words how grateful I am for Colton. I love being his mom. I love watching him grow and turn into a young man that I adore. He is sweet, kind and he has the most tender heart.
I heard a quote once that said, "What if the fruit of my motherhood is who I've become by raising them." My children have changed my life, made me a better person, made me want to continually seek goodness and want to become the best I can be. I've made many mistakes in my 12 years of being a mother but I will feel like I have succeeded in my quest if my children leave my home KNOWING that they were loved by their mom.
Colton I love you!!!! Happy Birthday!!!!

Colton and daddy sleeping soundly in the hospital
(sorry these pictures are so fuzzy - they are attached to the pages in his baby book - so I had to take a picture of the picture) 6 Months Old
One Year Old

Three Years Old And A Big Brother
Mom And Colton
I took this picture today. Colton is officially a Boy Scout and he is so excited! He went to an awards ceremony last night and they gave him this shirt. He loves it!! I love this boy and his silly faces. It is so hard to get him to smile for a picture.
Back of the Beloved T Shirt
Mom and Colton

I don't know what it is about a Chinese Buffet but my kids LOVE THEM!!!!! Colton picked that as his birthday dinner - I gritted my teeth and tried to pretend like there was no place else I'd rather be. (I'm not a fan of the Chinese Buffet)

Guarding the cake from a little brother very anxious to "help" blow out the candles

"Mom please don't make me pretend to blow out the candles...... "
Sometimes I hate digital cameras - we missed the moment.....

Colton opening his gifts - he is loving his life
I just love them!!!

Happy Birthday Colton

13 comments:

Adam and Sherry said...

Ok Colton it is time to STOP growing up!!! I am missing it!!! He is so big and not a cute little boy any more ((SNIFF SNIFF)) I LOVE the pictures of him when he was a baby so adorable :) And can I say it was wierd to see Dave with hair :) it's ok Dave Adam has the same problem :) Love you Colton Happy Birtyday!!!!!!

The Walkers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Walkers said...

I remember the day when my oldest turned twelve. How many years ago was that?!?!?:) Enjoy every minute!!!!

Hansen Family said...

EM, It is soo sad isn't it, they are no longer our little boys are they. The time just goes by so fast, it's scary. I hope that Colton had a great birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLTON!! Tyler misses you tons and can't wait for you to come back home!!!

Heather said...

We just love Colton!!! You guys have done a great job raising him. I loved seeing younger pictures of him too.

The Cook Clan said...

Happy late birthday to Colton!! I can't believe he's 12 already!! And what's scary is that Evan is right behind him...how exciting to be 12 tho!! =) I hope he had a great birthday!! My kids LOVED to go to China King Buffet when we lived there...they thought it was just he greatest...I didn't get it=) Haven't been to one here...too many other choices I guess =)

Hansen Family said...

Hey Em, Tyler wants to know what Colton got for his birthday!!

Adam and Sherry said...

Did you know that i miss you guys today!!! o how I wish you were right up the road. Your boys are growing up without knowing their "aunt" Sherry ((SNIFF SNIFF)) Be sure to show them my picture and let them know I am their "aunt" :)

Deedles said...

Your boys are all growing up so fast and they are so handsome! Happy birthday to Colton! Love all the pictures!

This Idaho Girl said...

I agree with you about the Chinese buffet (and all buffets, in general). You have such handsome boys. Great work!

Jessica said...

I love him. He is so big and great. You did a great job Em. Love you.

fausetts6 said...

Ok so I can not beleive it!!!! 12 already and wow he looks like a porter boy and he is so tall. I remember when you were newly married, and for the record you look WAY to young to have a 12 year old. He is so handsome. Time goes so fast. Congrats on becoming a deacon. That is so great. Love you guys

It's a Wonderful Life said...

That actually made me so sad!Time has gone so fast! He is such a great little guy! I love him and your boys!!!!! You look great in your pic by the way! I love you