"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences."
-Gordon B. Hinckley
(Taken from Nan's blog)
One month ago I received a horrible phone call in the middle of the night from my best friend Sherry telling me that her sister and my friend had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away. The next few days I was blessed to be able to sit beside my sweet friend as she so bravely went through pictures of her sweet sister to use for her funeral video. Each picture told a story and held a cherished memory.
I never realized the great importance of journaling and capturing memories through pictures until that moment. Natalie left a beautiful blog full of posts about her day to day interactions with her family. It is a gift she left for them... they will always know how much she loved them and how her world revolved around them.
So.... I am going to be better. I will make sure that if you were to sit and read my blog (journal) that you would know what is important to me.
I learned a lot from Natalie.
I continue to learn a lot from Natalie.
* I have an urgent need to be a little bit kinder to those around me.
(Natalie was very service oriented and helped so many people)
* I have relationships with people in my life that mean the world to me. There are times that I have neglected to tell those people how much they meant to me. If you love someone tell them... tell them often. If you have relationships that need to be healed... heal them. Life is short.
* When someone passes away you remember them for all of the good that they did. You emphasise their strengths and look past their weaknesses. I love that! Why can't we do that for people everyday?
* I now know what the true meaning of friendship is. There is always a need for a good shopping partner or someone to chit chat on the phone with. But a true friend is one who will hold you in their lap while you cry, who hurts when you hurt, who doesn't walk away when things get tough. A true friend does those things because there is no other place in the world they would be but right by your side holding you up when you can't stand alone. I have that kind of friend. I'm lucky.
* The day to day interactions you have with your family matter.
* Heavenly Father loves us and is mindful of his children.
Natalie has changed my life in so many ways. I will be just a tiny bit better because I was lucky enough to know her. When I see her again I want her to be proud of the changes I am making and will continue to make because of her example.
I love you Nan.
Natalie and Sherry
Love you both!
3 comments:
You are an amazing woman. How I love you. You are one of the greatest blessings I received while I was serving as RS Pres. Thanks for sharing your life with me.
O my goodness how I love you!!!!! I haven't been on blogger for ever and you just made my day!! I love you more than words could ever explain!! Thank you for holding me up :)
Thank you for sharing. I could feel her love for you just by the sweet comments she always left on your blog and facebook stuff.
Post a Comment